Help and Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions on how to send money to the Pacific Islands, or the way that information is displayed on this site, you will find the answers in this section.

If for any reason you don't find the answer you require please contact us at and we will try to provide the information.

These questions and answers apply specifically to Australia and New Zealand. Whilst they will generally apply to most of the Pacific countries there may be some local differences that you should take into account.

Sending money to the Pacific

How can I send my money to the Pacific Islands?

There are many ways to send money from one country to another:

Cash – You can send cash from the sending country, by using one of many different money transfer organisations, and your family can pick up cash in the country that they are in.

Card-to-card – You can send your money by using a bank card and the person you’re sending to can collect the money in cash at an ATM or the money can be spent in stores where the card is accepted

An International Money Order (IMO) - Your bank will give you an international guaranteed cheque and your family can then cash the cheque at their bank or pay it into their bank account.

Bank to Bank Transfer – If you have a bank account you can transfer money from this to a bank account in another country. The method used is often called a SWIFT transfer – this is the name of a transfer system.

Online – Some money transfer companies let you transmit through the internet (online). You need to set up a special account and then the company will send the money to your friend’s bank account or make it available for the money to be collected as cash.

Mobile Phone and New Technology – sending money is an area that is developing all the time due to new technology. For example, Fiji is well established with mobile phone money transfers – where money is sent to a receiver who receives the funds via their mobile phone. 

How much money can I send?

There is no legal limit to the amount of money that you can send. However, many businesses that transfer money do limit the amount that they can send for you. You are likely to be asked to provide some additional identification or to answer some questions by your money transfer company or bank if the amount you want to send is large.

What ID do I need to send money?

Identification requirements vary from company to company although it is common for identification to be requested for any amount over AUD/NZD/USD 1000. You will need to produce a current form of identification such as a passport or photo driving licence. 

Do I have to be an Australian / New Zealander / American to send money?

No, anyone can send money but you must have proof of who you are.

What can I do if my money doesn’t arrive to my friends or family?

You should contact the company that you sent the money through and ask them to determine where it is. You should also make sure that the person you have sent the money to has contacted the organisation that should pay the money to them. If the money can still not be found, you should contact one of the organisations below.


For complaints in Australia contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority on +1 800 931 678 or

New Zealand

In New Zealand you can take your complaint to one of the dispute resolution schemes. All financial service providers must belong to a dispute resolution scheme. For more information go to: Affairs). 

United states of America

For complaints in the United States of America go to (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) when the money was transferred by a bank.

If the money wasn't transferred by a bank, contact your state banking agency. Some states have regulators that look into issues like these. Find yours online at or call 311, and let them know what happened. Or, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at The FTC tracks nationwide trends using a database for state, local, and federal government agencies.